Bandra Worli Sea Link Project has been one of the most highly recommended project of all the transport studies done for the metropolitan region during the last forty years. At present, Mahim causeway is the only link connecting western suburbs to island city of Mumbai. The existing north south western corridor is highly congested and during the peak hours results in a bottleneck at Mahim Causeway. Vehicular traffic admeasuring about 1,20,000 PCU travels on the Mahim causeway everyday and during peak hours and it takes about forty minutes to travel from Mahim causeway to Worli, a distance of about 8 km.
Express Highway and Swami Vivekanand road at Bandra and connects to Worli at Worli end with overall length of 5.6 kms for the entire project.
A cloverleaf interchange at Mahim intersection and a flyover at the Lovegrove intersection have been proposed as part of this project to enhance the faster and safe traffic dispersal.
- Savings in vehicle operating cost to the tune of Rs.100 crores per annum due to reduction in congestion in the existing roads and lower vehicle operating cost on the bridge.
- Considerable savings in travel time due to increased speed and reduced delays at intersections at existing roads.
- Ease in driving with reduced mental tension and overall improvement in the quality of life.
- Improvement in environment especially in terms of reduction in carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen and reduction in noise pollution in areas of Mahim, Dadar, Prabhadevi and Worli.
- Project to have no adverse effect on fisheries, marine life and livelihood of fisherman.
- Reduced accidents.
- Proper landscaping measures along the approaches and promenade along waterfront to enhance environment of the area.
- An 8-lane bridge with 2 lanes dedicated for buses.
- Unique bridge design for the Link Bridge to emerge as a land mark structure in the city.
- Single tower supported 500 meters long Cable Stayed Bridge at Bandra Channel and Twin tower supported 350m Cable Stayed Bridge at Worli Channel for each carriageway.
- Modern toll plaza of 16 lanes with automated toll collection system.
- An intelligent bridge with state - of - art systems for traffic monitoring, surveillance, information and guidance, instrumentation, emergency support etc.
- Development of promenade and landscaping to enhance the environment.